yahoo

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A little AVM news!

It sounded crazy to Sophia Smith’s parents that doctors would use an adhesive similar to Krazy Glue to plug the tiny holes in her brain, but in essence that’s just what they did.

“I was like, ‘Krazy Glue?’” Sophia’s mother Rebecca Raezer said just a few days before Sophia’s life-saving surgery. “I thought they were just calling it glue for me, but it is a permanent fix. I found it hard to believe.”

Sophia, who is 3 months old, has vein of Galen malformation, or arteriovenous malformation (AVM). The large, deep vein at the base of her brain lacks capillaries, so her blood flows much too quickly from the arteries to the vein, which becomes overwhelmed by the intense bloodflow.

On Dec. 4, Dr. Alejandro Berenstein, director of the Hyman-Newman Institute for Neurology and Neurosurgery at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital in New York City, performed an embolization: He inserted a hollow tube containing the medical glue, or N-butyl-cyanoacrylate Trufill, through Sophia’s groin and fired bursts of it into the holes of the arteries.

from...

------------------------------

---------------------------------

Oh boy... have I got to get up... I've been sleeping ...all day long.
And tomorrow I have to work.

I have been called in... god I hope I sell something.

Yes, I have an AVM... it is a rather large one. It takes up most of my left side (of brain).
It has taken my ability to move my right side. And I use to be right handed.

I have to go... fight about to break out.
FFFFFFFFFFF!
R

No comments: