Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hey guys...

I got a few for ya... my life is okay... I guess. My wife just let out that she is addicted to pain killers. She has been for almost as long as I've known her. Seboxon looks like the way to go. We'll see... damn it all.

I knew she was, that is the funny part.
Here try some youtube stuff...

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Dumbell Fly

okay let's take a look at Music 1983!

UB40 Red Red Wine 1983

Men At Work - Overkill (1983)
I know I've done this before... but ya' have to love it...

One more of the dudes...
Men at work: Land down under!!!! (One of their best songs!!)

Okay let's get to work... Their were several AVM posts... here they are.

Benefit for Teen Stroke Victim

A suppertime benefit will help out a young man who had a hemorrhagic stroke, as well as his area Lions Club programs.

The Chili and Grilled Cheese Supper is on Thursday, February 12.

Volunteers will be serving food from 4:30 in the afternoon until 7-at night.

It's at the Mondovi School Cafeteria.

It's $5 for adults to eat, kids ages 5-12 are $4, and pre-schoolers eat for free.

The event is a benefit for Tanner Franson. He's the 13-year-old boy from Mondovi who had a hemorrhagic stroke in December of 2008. Doctors say Tanner has an AVM, which is an abnormal tangle of blood vessels in the brain. Doctors say they only find an AVM in about one in 100,000 people.

Tanner is recovering, and plans to attend a half-day of school for the first time since his stroke on Wednesday, February 11.

If you can't make it to the benefit, and would like to donate, you can send donations to this address:

Mondovi Lions Club
c/o Tanner
PO Box 135
Mondovi, WI 54755

click here to see the interview video and the scoure.



Embolization #1 Complete

After only 2 1/2 hours, the doctor came and said that the embolization was complete…

Mike left for the angiogram at about 7:45 a.m. I had been told that a cerebral angiogram takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and quite a bit longer with embolization. Imagine my surprise when the doctor came down at 10:30 to tell me he was done. He was able to block the largest artery, which is a very good thing! This changes the blood flow quite a bit, so he did not want to do any more today.

So now Mike is in ICU, flat on his back for another hour or so. He is in ICU as there can be bleeding following embolization. The doctor said it went very well, so we are counting on no problems. However, this would be a great thing to pray about over the next couple of days!

Tomorrow he will have another embolization. The doctor is hoping to be able to block several smaller arteries tomorrow. I am assuming the timing will be the same as today. The good thing is that Mike is already admitted, so I will be able to sleep an hour longer!

I will ask Mike if there is anything else he would like to relay later. He can’t have the computer in ICU. Thanks to everyone out there for your prayers!




Had a seizure this morning (Wed. 6:30a.m.)

Dear friends,

I wanted to let you all know that I had a seizure this morning, a generalized tonic clonic, that lasted for 60 seconds. The nurse had just walked into the room when my right arm, which was laying at my side, began to raise up incrementally and involuntarily until it was over my head.

Then it sort of took over my whole body. I was lucid throughout and tried to make myself come out of it…but I couldn’t do it. What an amazing sense of utter helplessness. I heard every conversation and word that was spoken. Now THAT was scary. I didn’t know if I’d ever come out of it or if I would be able to breathe much longer.

The strapping male nurse (probably 6′4″ 250 pounds) and rugby player, held me down, along with a team of others. They said I was strong. That made me smile inside. This seizure, and coming out of it, was entirely different than my experience back in October. After today’s seizure I was lucid once again within ten minutes.

The really smart guy that follows Dr. Meyer around and will also be a part of the surgery (perhaps a neurosurgical fellow) was in the room within 5 minutes assuring me that things were all right. He said they had ordered a CT to see if any bleeding had occurred. Thankfully it showed that none had. As of now the angiogram and embolization procedure is still on for later this morning.

The embolization of arteries redirects blood flow and pressures in the brain, thus causing seizures. I guess that’s why they put me in ICU.

The exact same Bible verse that came to me as I was coming out of the seizure in October came to me again today at the end of this episode. Only this time I quoted it to the fellow and the nurse, through closed eyes and slurred speech.

“Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever” (Psalm73:25-26).

Please pray that today’ embolization will not lead to more seizures prior to surgery tomorrow.

A couple more things I am thankful for that I neglected to record yesterday:

  • Those of you who are fasting and praying (even beyond those in our church)
  • All five of my children, each one a unique treasure to their mother and me.
  • The Panera Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad I chowed down last night.
  • Stams Chocolates
  • Each and every day!

Thanks for battling with us!


I know that it is not AVM stuff... but there is some good stuff in there... See ya....

No comments: