yahoo

Friday, September 09, 2005

News coverage of the Katrina Disaster.


News coverage of the Katrina Disaster.

Why is the news focusing on all of the terrible things that are going on with the Katrina victims, especially those in New Orleans?

Is it that we are so evil in out hearts that only bad news is entertaining to us? Is it that the media has some political agenda that they are secretly pushing? Is it that the Media is racially biased and wants to portray the poor black (former) inhabitants of New Orleans as evil? Or could it be that the media hates this country so much that they want to encourage terrorist with the seemingly poor response to emergencies that is portrayed in the news paper, and all across the globe on cable news channels.

I really wish I know what drove the news. I have talked with friends and acquaintances that are in the worst of it, and they all tell stories of kind people, helping one another. With only a slight sprinkling of the bad stuff, and most of that is being told second hand , from what they gleaned from the news!


My family survived Andrew in 1992, the response was about on par with the response that the federal government has had with Katrina. I will agree that mistakes have been made, from local, to state, to federal governmental levels. But I got news for you , in a disaster of this scale there will always be mistakes.

It is a shame that so many seem to have been lost to this storm. It is a shame that there were not 10 million MREs (Meals ready to Eat) in a warehouse just waiting for this scale of disaster. But to say that the government did not care, if people dies because e they were poor or black or southerner is simply a disgusting way of trying to make a political comment in a time that politics should truly be set aside.

Will this disaster make FEMA stronger, I think so. Will they be stronger over night, I doubt it. Will everyone go back to life as it was, mostly yes, but for those who are most effected, I truly hope life is better when this is all said and done.

Go to www.redcross.org and donate money. There are plenty of people who have been displaced by this storm , that to volunteer to hand out soup or clothes is to take a perfectly good job away from one of them. If you feel the need to volunteer, because you do not have money, but do have time, try the Salvation Army, the Catholic Social Services, your local church or synagogue. Or try organizing a fund drive for the Red Cross. There are a million things you can do, it is up to you to do them, today, tomorrow and on into the future. If every day, we act as if a disaster has just happened, the next time one does, we will all be better prepared to cope with it.

I am not a member of any church, or temple, or any other organized religion, but I will do my part for charity, now and in the future, can you take that oath with me?

Raise your right hand and read aloud.
“I promise that every day, I am here on this earth and capable of helping another human being, with an act of kindness or charity, that I will.
I promise that I will donate to the Red Cross or another similar organization, which helps people in need on a regular basis, and not just in time of emergency.
I promise to do all that I can today and tomorrow and forever, for someday I may need someone to do for me.”

Do something charitable today, do something kind today share a good news story with someone today.

No comments: